Sherborne Castle is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Sherborne Castle may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 24.05.2018.
Please read our policy carefully to understand how we collect, use and store your information.
- Information we collect
- Use of information
- Sharing information
- Your rights
- How we protect your information
- How long we keep information for
- Controlling your information
- Links to other websites
- Google Analytics
- How to contact us
1. Information we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name and job title
- contact information including email address.
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- website usage data
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
When you visit the Sherborne Castle website, we may also collect certain information through the use of “cookies” and other automated means. Cookies are small pieces of information that are stored by your browser on your computer’s hard drive. Such information may comprise the following information:
- Date and time;
- Originating IP address;
- Type of browser and operating system used (if provided by the browser);
- URL of the referring page (if provided by the browser);
- Object requested;
- Completion status of the request;
- Geographic location; or
- Language preferences.
2. Use of Information.
Where we use your information, it may be because you have consented to us doing so or because we consider we have a legitimate interest to do so. Where we do rely on a legitimate interest to use your information, we will always ensure that this is done in a way so as not to be intrusive or cause distress, and that respects your rights. We may from time to time wish to send you communications and material which may be of interest to you via our marketing emails. You will have the opportunity to opt out of receiving these types of communications from us every time we contact you. Please see “4. Your Rights” for further information on this. Other reasons may include using information because we have a legal obligation to do so or because we have to fulfil contractual obligations.
- You have placed an order with us and we use the information to fulfil this order
- You are an existing customer and we have product updates to send you via our marketing emails (you can opt out at any time)
- You have enquired, either via our online contact form or by writing a letter to us, about where we sell our products to purchase. We will use your information to assist in responding to your enquiry only.
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- Event Organisation
- Membership communications – where appropriate
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new events, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, or mail.
- We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
3. Sharing information
We may also share information with service providers who perform functions and services on our behalf. Such third parties will be appointed as data processors and will be provided only with information necessary to perform the services on our behalf but are not authorised to use such information for any other purposes.
We may disclose information about you if we are required to do so by law or pursuant to legal process, or in response to a request from law enforcement authorities or other government officials.
4. Your Rights
You have certain rights to the information we process about you as expressly provided for by applicable law. You may request access to the information we hold about you, update, amend or correct the information, and in some circumstances you may object to our use of your information.
You also have the right to request that we cease sending marketing communications, whether by email or otherwise, to you. You can do this by (i) clicking the unsubscribe link displayed in any of the marketing e-mails you receive, or (ii) otherwise requesting that we do not process your information for marketing purposes.
5. How we protect your information
Personal Information may be processed by either automated or manual methods.
We have in place appropriate technical and organisational security measures to protect your personal Information against unauthorised or unlawful use, and against accidental loss, damage or destruction.
We ensure any third-party service providers we use abide by data protection and strong privacy policies so that data is handled appropriately and lawfully.
6. How long we keep your information for
Sherborne Castle only retains your information for as long as needed to fulfil the purposes for which it is collected, unless otherwise provided by law. If you would like to know how long we hold any specific information, then please contact us and we can provide further details.
7. Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used for direct marketing purposes
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at email@example.com
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to Sherborne Castle, New Road, Sherborne, Dorset, DT9 5NR
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
8. Links to other websites
Our website may provide links to other websites for your convenience and information. These websites operate independently from us. Linked websites may have their own privacy policies, which we strongly suggest you review. To the extent that any linked websites you visit are not owned or controlled by us, we are not responsible for the websites’ content, any use of the websites, or the privacy practices of the websites.
Third party cookies are in use on our website for which they will have their own privacy policies. We do not control the use of third party technology and we are not responsible for any actions or policies of such third parties.
An example of third party cookie use on our website is as follows;
This website uses Google Analytics, this is a service of Google Inc. (“Google”) Google Analytics uses “cookies”. The information generated by the cookie about your use of this website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States for us to evaluate and improve our website.
10. Google Analytics
You can find out more about Google’s position on privacy as regards its analytics service at http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/analytics/privacyoverview.html
12. How to contact us
Accounting Manager and Data Protection Officer
Sherborne Castle Estates
The Estate Office
The Stables Sherborne Castle